[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Public Transport v3

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 04:17:32 UTC 2020

> 2.  People with a preference for the old tags see that as an excuse to keep using them

It's openstreetmap, "any tags you like" etc. - you have to reach local
consensus to change tags. Voting on a proposal does not avoid this
step, you will have to convince people that the new way is better.

I personally agree that it's better to just map the bus stops or train
stations in many cases, just not in every case.

> 4. People who want to use the new tags have to use _both_ sets of tags

That was a problem with the introduction of the public_transport=*
tags because they often partially duplicated existing tags, and never
become more popular.

But you proposal isn't introducing new tags, is it? I don't think this
will be a problem now.

>  the manifestation of #4 here would be that ways would be included, whereas I'm trying to avoid mappers dealing with them at al

Yes, that's a good point, and I certainly support changing the
documentation to let mappers know that including just nodes is totally
fine and sufficient.

In fact, if this method of mapping is already somewhat common, we can
update the wiki pages right now, to mention that it is an option.

Then it's a matter of asking editors to make it easy to add the route
relations with just the nodes, if this isn't already the case.

If it's not really done yet it is still a good idea to go through the
whole proposal process, but I think it will have more success to focus
on adding this simpler and easier option, rather than removing other,
more complicated options.

- Joseph Eisenberg