[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Public Transport v3

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 14:13:39 UTC 2020

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 13:45, Phake Nick <c933103 at gmail.com> wrote:

> In PTv2 one can simply select all the ways and then add them into
> relation, unlike this proposal where I woild need to try and see where I
> needs to add waypoint, and identify if there are any way that can be
> rendered differently on different renderer despite it might coincidentally
> appear as expected on editor's software.

+1

And then you have to worry that whatever router the renderer uses changes
its
algorithm and/or weightings in such a way that the bus route that is now
rendered
no longer matches reality.  Oh, and worry about future speed limit changes
if the router is going for fastest rather than shortest.  Oh, and new roads
that
offer a shorter and/or faster path between waypoints.  Oh, and different
renderers
using different routers.

The only way you stand a chance of future-proofing against changes like
those is
to include EVERY node along the route as a waypoint.  Which would be more
effort than including all the ways, since a way might consist of many nodes.
And even then a new road might change the rendered route.

This proposal might be OK for long-distance inter-city type routes that stop
only at official stops and there are very few official stops.  Some people
might be happy with just a route from A to B even if it's not quite correct
because it shows the essential inter-connectedness.  I wouldn't be happy,
because the moment I saw the bus taking a different path from the one
shown on the map is the moment I'd be worrying I was on the wrong bus.

As an alternative for those mapping routes where it's easer to use and gives
adequate results, fine.  There are, however, people who want this to
completely replace existing ways of mapping bus routes, and that
possibility means I'll vote against it unless the proposal explicitly states
that it's an alternative, not a replacement.

--
Paul