[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Public Transport v3

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 19:57:14 UTC 2020

Almost all PT routes over here are fixed, yes. It's not the driver's
decision where to drive. Of course, blocking events may force the driver to
go around, after reporting to/consulting with the operator.

I'm not so sure it's a good idea to replace fixed and published routes with
computed routes.

On the other hand, for PT using the public road system, routes do not
really physically exist, most of the time.

What I don't like is forcing routing on renderers, and discarding known
route data.

I think some PT routes are best kept as routes, and some are best kept as
waypoints for routing.

That's why I still think an optional route relation in the PTv3 routing
relation would be best.

About maintenance burden: Tools could use the waypoints and the exact route
for validation. Tools could use a routing algorithm to (re)create an exact
route which can be compared to external data. Tools can easily detect a
sorting problem or a gap in a route relation if it only has ways.

By the way, Id is much less destructive nowadays. "My" hiking routes still
get broken sometimes, but it's no longer the sole culprit. Kudo's!

Still, you can't properly maintain sizeable ordered relations with Id, let
alone hierarchies of relations.

Best, Peter Elderson