[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Public Transport v3

alan_gr alangrant72 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 21:13:15 UTC 2020

Richard Z. wrote
> Is the route "defined"?

I would say "yes" for urban buses in the three cities nearest to me in Spain
(Malaga, Seville, Granada). In all three cities the routes (not just stops)
are quite prominently displayed on the relevant websites - see a random
example here:
http://www.granadadirect.com/images/transporte/urbanos/planos/plano-4.png

I think it would be confusing for users if OpenStreetMap tools displayed
routes that differ from these official maps, so we should use a scheme that
allows OSM bus routes to be kept in sync with the official ones. From what I
have read so far of this proposal, doing this with "via" nodes sounds more
difficult for mappers than the current method of including the ways in the
route relation, as there appears to be a certain amount of trial-and-error,
plus the possibility of different routers giving different results.

I agree that for long-distance express buses there may not be any "official"
route made available to the public, so I would certainly support ways being
optional elements of the relation. But I'm not yet convinced that they
should be excluded entirely.

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Tagging-f5258744.html