[Tagging] problems with PTv2 (was: Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Public Transport v3)

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Mar 11 09:42:17 UTC 2020

Mar 9, 2020, 12:28 by music.kashish at gmail.com:

> I don't understand why the critics of PTv2 seem to think stop positions are such a big deal - they are optional!

I dislike them, because many people are using them.
Also in places where using them adds no information whatsoever.

I also very deeply dislike reason for its introduction
"Missing tag for stop position causes extra preprocessing for routing software."[1]

Why it was considered as a good idea to burden mappers with
something that good be done with extra preprocessing in routing software?

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features/Public_Transport&oldid=625726#Main_Problem_with_the_existing_Schema <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features/Public_Transport&oldid=625726#Main_Problem_with_the_existing_Schema>

Overall, except extremely rare cases stop positions only make map harder to edit
and people keep wasting time to add them. This is one of many ways how PTv2
leads to pointless waste of time, without benefits that would justify this.