[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - give box
mar.pel at outlook.com
Mon Mar 16 10:54:00 UTC 2020
The name is still something that bothers me. Clarity and transparency are importent for me.
I now understand that the name (and the description) of the feature must be very clear, easy to understand and general so that it can be used in different countries for similar concepts.
Thanks for the hint with ranked-choice voting, I am thinking about how we could implement this in OSM wiki. I'm open to suggestions.
Currently I want to give more time for the Proposed features/food sharing.
I never seen a hiker box in the wild, I do not know if there is a similar thing in Switzerland. I can't say much about the nature of this thing. Based on the description, I would prefer to map them as a separate node, as we do with public bookcases located in a building. So we can add information on how Pepole can find them and other infos ("level=*", "description=*", "wheelchair=*"). I also not see the relation between a post office, shop, hotel or campsite and a hiker box. Are these places specialized for hikers?
As I have never seen a hiker box, I do not want to make a proposal of my own. But I would remove the amenity=give_box + hiking=yes from the description, like the public_bookcase, when someone makes a proposal.
As I understand, "blessing boxes" are more about food like a free pantry.
I agree I also think this is not a good name for this proposal.
Von: Philip Barnes<mailto:phil at trigpoint.me.uk>
Gesendet: Sonntag, 15. März 2020 18:54
An: tagging at openstreetmap.org<mailto:tagging at openstreetmap.org>
Betreff: Re: [Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - give box
On Sun, 2020-03-15 at 12:42 -0400, Jmapb via Tagging wrote:
On 3/15/2020 6:18 AM, Markus Peloso wrote:
A small facility where people drop off and pick up various types of items in the sense of free sharing.
After "Clarify whatever explicit abstaining is the same as no vote" and the change of the Proposal process page I reopen the voting, maybe someone wants to change their vote or add a comment.
In the meantime we have got some new inputs:
- We hade discuss about give box, hiker box, public refrigerator, free pantry and food sharing and how this things could be documented in OpenStreetMap. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/food_sharing#Arguments_and_comments_from_the_Tagging_.5BPublic_refrigerators.5D_E-Mails
- New Proposed feature "food sharing" https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/food_sharing
- New Proposed feature "donation of goods" https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/donation_of_goods
- Some mappers tag blessing boxes with new amenity=give_box tag https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/RAA
Thanks for your patience and perseverance, Markus!
It's clear that give boxes will be approved as a feature. The only remaining questions I see are:
1. What's the best tag for them? (Some people don't like "give_box" -- maybe an opportunity to experiment with ranked-choice voting?)
2. What related amenities are distinct enough that they deserve their own separate tags?
- Public bookcase, obviously.
- Separating the food sharing amenities seems like a good idea. I'd be in favor of a single tag to which refrigerated=yes could be added to indicate a public refrigerator.
- I like the idea of a separate tag for hiker boxes, because (as I mentioned in the public refrigerator thread) it's very common to have them as part of another map feature like post office, shop, hotel, or campsite, so simply being able to add hiker_box=yes would be great.
- I've never heard the term "blessing box" before but it seems like they'd best be classified as either food sharing or give box, depending on the inventory.
Blessing box sounds like some something religious to me, so not a good term for this proposal.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Tagging