[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Pumps (wells and many other things)

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 02:01:00 UTC 2020

François,

Could you please simplify the "==Proposal==" section and make it 100% clear:

1) What new Keys and Tags (Key=Value) are being approved by the proposal
2) What old Keys and Tags are being deprecated
3) Move the Proposal section to the top, before Rationale, so people
will be clear on what the proposal is going to do if it is approved.

This is the current "==Proposal==" section. It's not clear what new
tags are being proposed and what old tags are being deprecated.

"It is proposed to complete OSM tagging for pumps used in any domain
with the following tags :

man_made=pump
pump:output=*
pump=* is currenlty established to state if a water well runs with a
powered or manual pump (actually how the pump is driven if it exists).
We also need a terminology to define the pump technology as many sorts
exist in industry. It's then proposed to refurbish this tag with
values related to pumps mechnanisms.

Devices used to drive pumps (and get water in case of water wells)
would be better described with existing actuator=* tag instead of
pump. handle=* is also suitable for manual pumps or emergency usage
with manual action when power isn't available.
This option allows to avoid pump:type=* as well."

-- Joseph Eisenberg