[Tagging] Addresses with PO Box, and other delivery type addresses.

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 02:07:47 UTC 2020

On 21/3/20 9:00 am, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 21:55, Jan Michel <jan at mueschelsoft.de
> <mailto:jan at mueschelsoft.de>> wrote:
>
>     Yes. We shouldn't have a separate tag for each and every company that
>     offers such services.
>

> No, that get's very unwieldy, very quickly, especially when you get
> several different ways of spelling the same thing, as just
> demonstrated with PO boxes.

Here Post offices are the only ones that 'deliver' to PO Boxes. Very few
outside contractors interface with the Post Office to enable PO Box
delivery. Similar comments for RMBs etc. I think similar comments
applies to other PO Boxes around the world?

For remote places again few contractors would be delivering to a
specific place, they usually contact the place and have them come and
pick up from their 'local' depot.

That trip can be a few hours there and a few hours back. For this reason
most remote places prefer the official Post Office delivery system as it
gets the mail closer to them.

As for different ways of spelling/formatting. Mistakes will occur just
as they do in naming streets with 'Rd' or 'rd' rather than Road. In any
country where there is an officially desired spelling/format then that
can be referenced and values corrected to it.

For 'other' delivery providers they may prefer to use the other addr keys?

I refer to the 'address' of t|he Barkly Homestead;

"PRIVATE MAIL BAG 32
Tennant Creek
Northern Territory  0862

Australia"

At present within OSM there is no contact nor address information there.

https://www.barklyhomestead.com.au/

For other deliveries?

" 19.7107° S, 135.8275° E

Situated on the Barkly Highway

between Tennant Creek - NT and Camooweal - QLD"

Note - no house number, lot number etc... locals and those traveling
through will simply 'know' of its location.

>     The value of the tag should be what needs to be on
>     the address label and this has to contain information on the kind
>     of box
>     or the operator.
>

> Yep, in whichever format it appears

The format may change from country to country. I listed what is
officially accepted by the Post Office here.

OSM will need to accept that formats will change, as may the language.

I am occasionally questioned when sending things overseas as to the
address, it being particularly long.

My relatives assure me that it is correct and needed to ensure correct
delivery.

> On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 21:32, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com
> <mailto:pla16021 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     How about
>     addr:mail or addr:delivery?
>

> I'd suggest addr:mail= whatever you want to list out of all of Warin's
> options (+ undoubtedly more)!

Whatever key is used there will need to be some sort of format of the
value to identify CRLF, particularly if the key is to carry the entire
address (country, postcode, state, town/city/ etc) in the format wanted
by the delivering organization. I am assuming that the complete address
will need to be placed here as it may vary from what is entered in the
other addr tags.