[Tagging] General Tags for unmapped cities

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 06:12:54 UTC 2020

> Hi Joseph, the mappers will survey the buildings with mapillary imagery that we upload for them, these buildings are already mapped in the Openstreetmap Database, but as a generic tag like "building=yes"

Great. It is helpful to update the building tag to a more precise value.

But as mentioned above, the use of an area is usually mapped as a
larger landuse=retail/commercial/etc. feature around the buildings and
other surrounding land.

The building=* tag should describe what the building looks like. Often
that has something to do with it's function: a building of storefronts
with glass display windows will often be mapped as building=retail,
and a supermarket building is usually a special design and can be
tagged building=supermarket.

But residential buildings should be mapped based on the actual design:
like building=apartment, building=semidetached_house, building=house,
building=dormitory, and so on.

-- Joseph Eisenberg