[Tagging] Addresses with PO Box, and other delivery type addresses.

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Mar 21 21:03:26 UTC 2020

Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> writes:

> I agree with "addr:mail=*" as a tag to add to guesthouses, shops,
> farms and other businesses, as a way to send letters and perhaps small
> parcels, which might be delivered to a PO Box or some rural delivery
> system, rather than to the physical address of the shop, business or
> other public feature.

If a business *publishes* a mailing address, then that seems reasonable,
but it also seems to be veering into OSM as a database of businesses vs
a map.  But I can see the point that the mailing address of a business
is not so different from the website URL and phone number.

> But I would caution against adding this to private house features, due
> to privacy laws in some countries.

Agreed.  At best it would be highly rude, and I think it's important not
to have a general perception bythe world that OSM is rude.  Many people
seem to think that anything they can find out should be published, and I
think mappers need to ask themselves what should be published.