[Tagging] Clearer definition of tunnel=flooded: when should it be used instead of tunnel=yes or tunnel=culvert?

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 16:25:33 UTC 2020

Hi Joseph,

Here are some points to make it clearer

This is the base situation :
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Waterway_drain_outlet.jpg

Le dim. 22 mars 2020 à 00:46, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
a écrit :

> Should a waterway=river every be tunnel=flooded, or is it then a canal?

Even if waterway=river is listed under useful combinations I think this
table is more correct :
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway#Values
Then only drain or canal could be suitable for tunnel=flooded and
waterway=river could be removed from combinations (and even be marked as
incompatible)

> How safe for walking does the tunnel have to be?

Flooded means you can't stay dry and expose yourself to drowning hazard,
even if there no water at the time you get inside the tunnel.

> What about if a boat can go through the tunnel, but you can't walk?

It's flooded, no exceptions

Its not the case for Canal Saint Martin in Paris, since water level can't
rise up the built in passageways even if boat use to go inside too
So here tunnel=yes works.
https://www.urbextour.com/en/saint-martin-canal-is-the-biggest-underground-river-in-paris/

All the best

François