[Tagging] Please fix unnamed square tagging / was: ... description of place=square

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 04:24:34 UTC 2020

"Here’s an example of a square in Berlin in a residential early 20th
century area:"

Is this mapped as a leisure=park in Openstreetmap? If so, then I don't
see any need to also map the same area as a square.

> I would still count them in, or we will end up splitting hair about how much of a square must be paved in order to be a square.

Why is this a problem? When mapping areas with some trees, a mapper
must decide how much of the ground is covered by tree canopy to make
it a woodland (natural=wood) instead of a grassland savana
(natural=grassland) or pasture with a few trees (landuse=meadow).

Mappers always have to make decisions on border cases, and usually the
decision will come down to "what is most of the area covered with?"

-- Joseph Eisenberg