[Tagging] Which languages are admissible for name:xx tags?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 14:20:46 UTC 2020

> "if the name is otherwise regarded correct by mainstream media or a language authority."

In that case, please add it to wikidata with a reference, but it would
not be appropriate for Openstreetmap.

Unlike wikipedia and wikidata, which are based on references and
citations to "authoritative" sources, Openstreetmap has always been
designed as a primary source: we map real, current features which you
can visit in person.

I agree that names in fictional languages should not be added to
name:<iso> tags, nor any name which cannot possibly be confirmed to be
true or false by local mappers.

If an Indonesian mapper adds name:id=* tags to every village in
northern Finland, how is anyone to confirm that they are right or
wrong?

-- Joseph EIsenberg