[Tagging] Which languages are admissible for name:xx tags?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 06:25:38 UTC 2020

> If the current name:pjt=Uluṟu is retained in addition to the name=Uluṟu tag, I could determine the name is in the pjt language

In this case, but what if it was name=Uluru, name:en=Uluru, name:cs=
Uluru? Now we have to guess that English is the default language in
Australia... but what if the spelling was different for pjt:
name:pjt=Uluru - now we are really confused. Is the national language
en or the local language ptj or something else?

That's why I previously proposed a tag like default_language=* which
could be added to features and boundaries. See
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Default_Language_Format

Unfortunately that was not approved. It's a confusing topic, many of
the people who opposed the proposal seemed to think it would do
something else.

-- Joseph Eisenberg