[Tagging] Which languages are admissible for name:xx tags?

Phake Nick c933103 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 21:58:07 UTC 2020

Names in OSM map is to show the world reader what each objects are.
Unlike Wikipedia and Wikidata, OSM map everything on the ground.
Let assume the world's common language is now priparaish, and English is
now only spoken by a small insignificant African tribe, and is also the
only language in the world that use latin script. And you as a member of
the English-speaking tribe, trying to navigate the map of the world on the
OpenStreetMap, and see objects everywhere outside the area of your little
tribe are in the format of လူတိုင်းသည် တူညီ လွတ်လပ်သော , do you think you
would be able to read and use the map? If you heard a news which said a
terrorist attack occurred at Ketsumisomewhere in local language, turn to
OpenStreetMap and search for the place name, and then find out there are no
Ketsumisomewhere in the world because your language is deemed spoken by too
few to be worth including into OSM and the only name listed in OSM for the
place is केट्सुमीसोममेरे, do you think it is going to be helpful?
According to OpenStreetMap's mission statement, one of the core value of
OSM is "We want OSM data to be used as widely as possible". You cannot use
OSM data as widely as possible without providing the name of all different
features in all different languages, even if some languages might only be
spoken by relatively few people, they are still human that can digest OSM
data. Do you think it is a good idea not to translate the name of an
"Nofoaga faʻapitoa mo fesoasoani faʻafuaseʻi" object into English because
no one speak English at the place it's established even thought people from
aroind the world travelling there who speak English might come and seek
help at the emergency assistance center?

> If an Indonesian mapper adds name:id=* tags to every village in northern
Finland, how is anyone to confirm that they are right or wrong?
They are to be confirmed by other Indonesian mappers.

在 2020年3月25日週三 22:23,Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> 寫道: