[Tagging] Route names that aren’t names

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 12:28:24 UTC 2020

Don't think the official name will help. Talking from my limited experience
with cycle routes in Italy:  most do not have e Reference and many do not
have an agreed-upon official name. But they exist on the ground with some
kind of sign posting, often varying along the same route over space and
depending on when they were installed. And the official names are often
hilarious, and long. Try this: https://suisentieridegliezzelini.it/
Have a look at the signs in the first image. And then use Sarah's trick to
create a "ref" from the first characters: "SSDELIMEIL". Note that you need
the whole text as identification. The first line is the name of a group of
walking and hiking routes, the second line is the name of the specific
route.
The problem is not on the OSM mapping side, it is the completely
unstructured approach by the various administrations to something which
should be cycling network.  I have given up hope and limit myself to
documenting what is on the ground. If there is no ref I don't put a ref
tag. If there is an official name I put it, even it is an entire sermon.