[Tagging] Updating definition and description of place=square

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sun Mar 29 15:22:58 UTC 2020

Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 at 00:55, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:
>
>> Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I can think of one US city square which has "square" in the name
>> > (not square shaped, though) that is rather well-known.  If you
>> > can't think of it the ball will drop eventually, at midnight on Dec 31st.
>>
>> But is that a place=square?  That is simply an intersection which is
>> called square.  There is no hard-surfaced area for people separate frrom
>> the roads.
>
> The only pictures of it I've ever seen were all full of people standing
> around.  I'll take your word for it.

Probably that's during new year's eve when all the roads are shut down
and there are people in many more places than usual.

I did find a bit of a pedestrian area that fits the Euro definition of
square, on looking further.

But that area is not what is meant by "Foo Square" in the US.  Such
names refer to an indistinct area around the named intersection.
Joseph Eisenberg summed it up well in the Harvard Square case, and I
think the same applies here.

In OSM, there is a way in Times Square with place=square.  However, it
includes roads and bits of sidewalk in some places, so that is not
matching what has been discussed.  Really it is a place=neighborhood
with an indistinct boundary, even if there is a bit of eurosquare there.