[Tagging] Updating definition and description of place=square

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 20:33:53 UTC 2020

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 at 21:16, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:

> So is the key difference between a town square and a village green(*)
> the fact that the square is usually paved?

I think it would be rare for a grassed area to be called a town square.  And
very rare for a paved area to be called a village green.  In the end,
though,
it's down to how the locals think of it and what they use it for: not all
paved, pedestrian areas are town squares.  Some are market places.
Some are wide roads that have been pedestrianized and function more
as very wide footpaths.

For instance, is

> https://i.pinimg.com/originals/46/ac/ae/46acaefc5e243415deb7badb29b4113b.jpg
> a square ? What about
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Square,_Manhattan#/media/File:1_new_york_city_union_square_2010.JPG
> ?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Circle#/media/File:ColumbusCirclefromTimeWarnerCenterNYC20050807.jpg
> ?

They all look like they could be town squares.  Whether or not they're used
that way is another matter.

--
Paul