[Tagging] Route names that aren’t names

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 22:02:39 UTC 2020

On 29/3/20 5:18 am, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> Route relation names aren’t in a great state, are they?
>
> Let’s say that I want to render cycle route names on a map (because,
> well, I do). I zoom in on a way along the East Coast of Britain and I
> find it’s a member of this route:
>https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/9579
>  name=NCN National Route 1

I'm looking at a cycle route now.

It has 2 different routes depending on the direction of travel, in this
case north bound or south bound. It uses divided highways with cycle
lanes so they need to be different there. Then they need to be different
getting on and off these divided highways. The they need to be different
when approaching roundabouts with bifurcated approaches...

Using 2 different routes for the different directions is fine.. but how
is the direction indicated? In the 'name', the ref, the description? And
would do the renders cope with that?