[Tagging] natural=water inside natural=wetland

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Fri May 1 10:12:17 UTC 2020

If you are talking about a simple wetland you may find in a small pond or lake, It’s easy, but natural formations are often very messy and complicated - especially when a wetland covers an area larger than most villages.

There is often overlap where I am where a wetland lives permanently in the bottom of a basin, and the surrounding area is a park or sports field. When there is a storm the basin fills up and wetland, pitch, and parking lot end up under 3m of water for a day or so.

The wetland is not exclusively part of that structure. The basin or intermittent reservoir consumes everything inside of it.

I have 3 basins In my area that are 5KM wide that 363 days a year are wetland, sports complexes, airstrips, parks, etc. then a typhoon hits and fills it with 3m of water for a day or so.

The structure of the surrounding area still influences the smaller area, like a river way going through a giant wetland.

In a lake, some corner of the lake is often a wetland - yet that wetland is 100% the part of the lake. It should be layered IMO. That could happen for a wetland too, right?

Maybe I am looking at it in a wrong way.

A multipolygon might be a good solution for some of these pond in wetland situations (like an island in a lake), but won’t there also be some cases with water features where the they truly are 2 things in the same space?

Can it always be validated as “wrong?”

Javbw