[Tagging] Running but no hiking/walking

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Fri May 1 22:32:06 UTC 2020

On 5/1/2020 4:37 PM, Mike Thompson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a trail [0] around here where walking/hiking is not allowed,
> but running is. Currently it is tagged foot=yes, which doesn't give
> the full story. In case you are wondering how such a situation could
> come about, it is because the land manager wants faster traffic (trail
> runners, mountain bikes and horses) on this trail, and slower traffic
> (walkers/hikers) on a more or less parallel route.  Any suggestions as
> to how to tag?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>

> [0] https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/449200803

minspeed:foot? A value of around 6 or 7 (default unit is km/hour) should
separate the fast walkers from the joggers. Of course it's anyone's
guess if there would ever be any software support for this key.

Another approach would be to leave off the highway tag and tag it a
leisure=track + sport=running + bicycle=yes/designated. Routing software
would probably ignore it for pedestrian mode but might still route
bicycles on it.

Jason