[Tagging] Doorzone bicycle lanes

Robert Skedgell rob at hubris.org.uk
Sun May 3 09:34:16 UTC 2020

On 03/05/2020 07:37, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> For a while myself and others have been using cycleway:lane=doorzone to
> say the bicycle lane is in a doorzone, I've now added documentation of
> this as "in use"
> at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway:lane. However this
> conflicts with the other "in use" cycleway:lane=exclusive/advisory,
> since you can have exclusive/advisory lanes which are doorzone or not.
>
> None of these have gone through a proposal process and both are
> independently in use.
>
> Given cycleway:lane=exclusive/advisory have more use than doorzone, I
> think we should put cycleway:lane=exclusive/advisory through the formal
> proposal process and then change how we map doorzones as
> cycleway:lane:doorzone=yes so it can work together with exclusive/advisory.
>
> Any other opinions?
>
> Also on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway:lane there is
> cycleway=shared_lane + cycleway:lane=pictogram, should this not be
> cycleway:shared_lane=pictogram?
>
> Given https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:cycleway%3Dshared_lane is
> already defined as "Used to identify roads which contain a shared lane
> marking, or sharrow, to indicate that the travel lane is shared by
> bicycles and other vehicles." what does the =pictogram tag mean and how
> is it different to cycleway=shared_lane?

Once a consensus has been arrived at for tagging the cycle lane itself,
would it also be worth suggesting in the wiki that the tag(s) be used in
conjunction with parking:lane:*=parallel (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:parking:lane )?

As a separate issue, there are advisory cycle lanes combined with a
single yellow line parking restriction, where there is a usable lane at
the times when parking is prohibited, but effectively no cycle lane when
parking is permitted (sometimes with a doorzone risk on the carriageway).

--
Robert Skedgell (rskedgell)