[Tagging] RFC ele:regional

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon May 4 20:57:24 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

>> On 4. May 2020, at 18:54, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:
> This really feels like solving a non-problem.  If you just put what's
> on the sign in ele, and don't worry about it, that's ok.  If somebody
> else actually makes a valid, hard-core measuremnt, and fixes it, even
> better.

I thought it could help to have a key which explicitly states that you just took a value from somewhere else, which is probably using a reference that is regionally typical (i.e. you took a height from a sign, normally you will not know which reference is used (sea level of some kind)). When I find signs on the ground with height information I’m always reluctant to add the values as it’s not clear whether I should transform them and if yes, from where to where. The wiki isn’t very clear either.

When you are making a valid hardcore measurement it would be a pity to throw it into “ele” with its unknown specifics, you’d likely want to be more precise (I agree ele:datum is fine for this) and a specific tag seems also more save from being carelessly modified.

Cheers Martin