[Tagging] Tag:amenity=motorcycle_taxi not approved

s8evq s8evqq at runbox.com
Fri May 8 13:04:44 UTC 2020

On Fri, 8 May 2020 08:43:27 -0400, Jarek PiĆ³rkowski <jarek at piorkowski.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 May 2020 at 02:27, s8evq <s8evqq at runbox.com> wrote:
> >
> > Of the 8 opposing votes, only 1 has made the effort to comment beforehand on the talk page. The 7 others just came in and voted no, without any discussion beforehand. That doesn't seem correct. It should not be possible to be suddenly faced with this fait accompli.
>
> Hm, I'm not seeing that requirement on
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process#Voting
>
> In fact all the opposing votes made comments as to why they oppose it.
> You may disagree with their reasons but that doesn't make them
> invalid.

Sure. You're totally right.

> How much discussion do you think should be necessary before voting "I
> oppose, because I think using sub-tags is better"? If someone thinks
> that, they think that. A discussion would just print the arguments
> back and forth.

If these arguments were given beforehand, perhaps the proposal could have changed, or opinions could have been changed?

I hardly have any experience in proposals and the voting system. But I've seen 3 proposal so far, where I know the author doesn't want to bring it to vote, fearing the proposal would be rejected. The rationale behind it: status Rejected is worse than having the proposal in the "Draft" state forever.

And then some people in this very thread suggest to just ignore a rejection and start using it anyway. What's the use of the whole voting system then? Why even bother writing a proposal in the first place? I'll just do whatever.