[Tagging] Tag:amenity=motorcycle_taxi not approved

Florimond Berthoux florimond.berthoux at gmail.com
Fri May 8 20:33:38 UTC 2020

Hi,

5) As a French I have to give you again the universal answer : amenity=taxi
+ motorcycle=yes + whateveryourvehicle*=yes|*designated :)

Tags is an intermediate language between human and machine, at the end its
just characters with definitions, but some are easier to use for mapping
and computing.

(I read some disrespectful arguments in the following mails...)

Regards

Le jeu. 7 mai 2020 à 20:51, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> The voting period closed for amenity=motorcycle_taxi with 11 votes to
> approve and 8 votes in opposition, therefore it is not approved, since the
> 74% majority requirement was not met.
>

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:amenity%3Dmotorcycle_taxi#Voting
>
> Opposing voters preferred using amenity=taxi + motorcycle=yes or
> amenity=taxi + taxi=motorcycle
>
> Surprisingly, at least 2 opposing voters would be willing to use
> amenity=taxi + taxi=submarine or taxi=airplane for a location where you
> could hire a submarine or airplane.
>
> However, several "yes" voters were strongly opposed to expanding the
> definition of amenity=taxi which currently is limited to taxicabs
> (generally assumed to be 4-wheel motor vehicles in contemporary British
> English).
>
> So, what's the next step?
>
> 1) Propose using taxi=motorcar, =motorcycle, =boat, =airplane, and get
> that idea officially rejected (it appears it would be certain to fail), or
> is that a waste of everyone's time?
>
> 2) Make a proposal to clarify the definition of amenity=taxi as only
> applying to motorcars, then try to propose the tag again?
>
> 3) Propose amenity=ojek and just hold the vote in the Indonesian
> community, like how the Japanese mapper community proposes locally-relevant
> definitions?
>
> 4) Give up on mapping things which are not found in western Europe, and
> recognize that this is in practice a project dominated by
> English/German/American culture, which will not accept new ideas which were
> not invented in the West?
>
> -- Joseph Eisenberg

Florimond Berthoux