[Tagging] Remove non-prefixed versions of 'contact:' scheme

Cj Malone CjMalone at mail.com
Mon May 11 01:47:39 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 02:10 +0100, Paul Allen wrote:
> And yet you, and others, keep saying it.  "Deprecate" means "express
> disapproval of."  In the context of OSM, it means "phase out."  That
> is,
> eradicate with the passage of time.  It may not be what you mean, but
> it's what you keep saying.

Any yet what I described was a phase out with 3 steps.

> Replacing tags isn't easy.  There is inertia from various parties
> involved.
> Carto has a rule of "no aliases."  Which means that however
> compelling
> you feel that replacing a=b with x=y is a good idea, they'll almost
> certainly
> reject it because "no aliases."  The editor people have their own
> foibles, too,
> but they're more likely to decide they don't like a=b or x=y and go
> with
> p=q.

I thought this mailing list was the official avenue for disusing,
changing and adding tags in OSM. I didn't realise you had to get the
editor permission.

> Oh, and there's all the legacy usage you have to clean up, except
> we don't like automated edits.  But without cleaning it up, you make
> database queries more complex.

I don't have any arguments against automated edits, bulk edits, machine
assisted edits. In any dataset they are needed, especially one this
massive. But it's not a fight I have the effort to fight right now.

> I am far from convinced that a contact phone number is not a phone
> number.
> If I see a phone=* on a phone box I know it is not a contact number.
> If
> I see a phone=* on a business I know it's a contact phone number for
> the business.  What extra utility does having contact:phone provide?
> And is it worth the hassle of manually editing all the existing tags
> fix?

That's just one edge case with the phone tag. Another one being phone
on parking. Is that the number you call to pay, or is it the number you
call to contact the operator because there is something wrong.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ who knows.

I believe there are more edge cases we still aren't thinking of, and if
we aren't the user agents defiantly aren't.