[Tagging] Quality and the Openstreetmap value chain

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Wed May 13 08:20:27 UTC 2020

On 5/12/20 17:18, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I'd really like somebody to come up with simple definitions of
>
> mappers,
>
> data consumers / customers,
>
> users?

I'd consider "user" and "data consumer" to be the same thing (but would
prefer "user" or even "data user" in light of the objection to
"consumer" used in this context at
<https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Consumer>).

A "user" is someone who makes use of the data generated by the
OpenStreetMap project including its volunteers. A "mapper" (or "editor")
would be someone who creates and/or updates the data for the project.
One easily can be both at different times, in fact, I would hope most if
not all mappers "eat their own dog food" and use OSM data as much as
possible in preference to e.g. Google or Bing maps.

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com