[Tagging] relations & paths

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Fri May 15 13:45:30 UTC 2020

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 9:22 AM Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are those important in all instances or just the examples you gave?  The
> footpaths and bridleways I deal with have references (in official records, not
> on signages) but are not part of a network.

Sorry, I was unclear. Network is important for road (and some cycle)
routes in the US, because if you're going to do anything more than the
most basic support (if, for instance, you want to render pictorial
signs), you need to know the network of a numbered route.

We hack that for the main renderer by putting a `ref=*` like "CR 103"
on the ways, but that's far from ideal, because different counties use
different symbololgy, and it's not guaranteed that a route maintained
*by* a county is entirely *in* the county.  State-level example: About
half of New York State Route 120A
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/407958 is in Connecticut. It's
maintained and signed as a numbered New York highway. It's not the
only one. If you look at the same area on
https://kbk.is-a-geek.net/catskills/test4.html?la=41.0435&lo=-73.6807&z=15,
you'll see that it's rendered with the shield of a New York route and
not the square of a Connecticut one.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin