[Tagging] Permanent ID/URI --- off topic email

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue May 19 08:02:25 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-05-19 at 09:43 +0200, European Water Project wrote:
> Dear All,
> I am looking for a way to create permanent links  to specific objects
> (fountains and cafés) with images within our application ... and I
> have a couple of questions.
>
> How quickly do OSM node and ways numbers mutate ?  What percentage
> should I expect to change each year.  If the percentage of
> ids mutates slowly enough .. maybe this is still the best bad short
> term option ?
>
> I was pointed to this wiki :
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Permanent_ID
>
> On the discussion page, it is mentioned that a solution is being
> targeted for end 2020 . Will there be a tool to translate actual osm
> node and ways numbers to the new permalink ids.
>
> Apparently Mangrove uses GEO URI to create perma links towards
> objects. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_URI_scheme. How do they
> deal with node repositioning ?  I could create a link name with first
> 5 latitude num followed by first 5 longitude num... but as soon as
> someone moves the node I would get a broken link...

I think that will depend very heavily on what the object is. Something
like a drinking fountain that is mapped as a single node and is too
small to be improved into a way will be quite stable as there is no
reason to improve it.

Other nodes may change, shops/pubs/restaurants mapped as nodes can
obviously be improved and the tags transferred to a building object.

Although relying on a node id is not the best way, something based on
maybe overpass that finds the tags seems a far more stable way to me.

Phil (trigpoint)