[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Recreational route relation roles

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Thu May 21 12:17:37 UTC 2020

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 12:42 AM Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 May 2020 at 12:35, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The exclusion of the black trail as a possible 'excursion' in the main
>> route is a judgment call. I'd be very careful about it.
>>
>> Why is one excluded where the other is not? Is that is going to be
>> difficult to explain in a simple way?
>
> It should depend if it's signposted as part of the route or not, since this tagging only applies to signposted routes. If there is an excursion or alternative route that isn't signposted as part of the route then it shouldn't be included in the relation.

It's still tricky. Around here, few trails are actually signposted;
some don't have a sign anywhere! They're marked with paint blazes in
the woods, guideposts in the fields, and cairns above the tree line.

And it's still possible to waymark a side trail as _associated_ with
the main route. The Appalachian Trail, for instance, is marked with a
2x6 inch vertical white bar. Side trails that 'belong' to it are
marked wtih the same 2x6 inch vertical bar, only in blue. The 'belongs
to' association is a judgment call. I know of only one maintaining
club in my broad area that publishes a list, and that's for their
quirky 'hiked the Long Path from side to side' award:
https://www.greenmountainclub.org/the-long-trail/side-to-side/

The excursion may be marked generically, but still be understood to
'belong to' the trail that it leaves. On many preserves around here
(which use a more sophisticated waymarking system than the simple
paint blazes), side trails to campsites and latrines are marked with
little (~10 cm) marker disks bearing the appropriate icon:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/10282365273

Given the statement of purpose, the locals will know what to do, and
the non-locals will argue here on the tagging list about whether a
'properly' tagged object must follow their cultural assumptions.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin