[Tagging] track vs footway, cycleway, bridleway or path

brad bradhaack at fastmail.com
Thu May 21 15:22:33 UTC 2020

Perhaps highway=service?

I don't agree with calling a 2 track/road a path and I don't think that
common usage, or the wiki says this either.

/"This //tag <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag>//represents
//*roads for mostly agricultural use*//, //*forest tracks*//etc.; often
unpaved (unsealed) but may apply to paved tracks as well, that are
suitable for //two//-track vehicles, such as tractors or jeeps. "
/

I think the "etc" could mean a lot of things, such as mining roads, fire
roads, emergency access roads, etc /
/

/"If the way is not wide enough for a two-track vehicle, it should be
tagged as //highway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=path
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath>//."/

and
/"Consider //highway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=path
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath>//for ways so
narrow that they can only accommodate pedestrians, equestrians,
bicyclists, and motorcycles without sidecars."

and/

"highway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=track
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrack> - for roads
for agricultural use, gravel roads in the forest etc."

These quotes are from: