[Tagging] Reviving the path discussion - the increasing importance of trails in OSM

Daniel Westergren westis at gmail.com
Fri May 22 11:42:24 UTC 2020

Yeah, I guess there's no way to force the user to add a surface tag when
adding a highway=path. We could also use analyzing tools to look for recent
edits with only highway=path and comment to users about the use of surface
etc.

And yeah, the MTB preset bundle for JOSM has one preset for singletrack
(width=0.5m) and one for doubletrack (width=2.5m), although the latter is
highway=track. I suppose there's no need to be more detailed than within
0.5m in either case. But I'm still interested in the general principle of
looking only on the treaded path on the ground or the "space" available for
the path more generally.

/Daniel