[Tagging] Reviving the path discussion - the increasing importance of trails in OSM

Daniel Westergren westis at gmail.com
Fri May 22 15:47:08 UTC 2020

Yeah, I think in terms of tagging we don't get further in this discussion.
But it has been very valuable to me. I've done a couple of video tutorials
about the basics of mapping trails in OSM and the next one will be about
what tags to use and why.

They are in Swedish, but I'm planning to do English versions later as well.
It's probably been done before, but I guess we need to use different ways
in this widespread community to reach mappers to get more useful data to
work with.

And regarding rendering of surface... Yeah, both an advantage and
disadvantage of OSM is its diversity. What for many sounds like the only
logical way may conflict with the views of others.

Great work with your rendering btw! I'd love to discuss more about that
outside of this mailing list, as I'm also helping out with creating a
custom rendering for trail running purposes. OpenStreetMap is indeed very
urban-centred still, which brings me back to my opening lines of this
thread, that OSM hasn't caught up with how lots of people actually are
using it now, like routing and rendering for hiking, cycling and running,
areas where Google Maps etc. are and will continue to be way behind.

Thanks for valuable input!!

/Daniel