[Tagging] Feature proposal - Lines management - Voting

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Fri May 22 21:32:13 UTC 2020

I've never really understood this section of the proposal. I was hoping
this would be clarified since it still seemed to be under discussion:

"Level composition matrix

"As many situations exists in reality, it can be useful to combine
(line_management=value1|value2) some values to reflect what actually happen
on a given support level according to compatibility rules introduced
upside.
"This table indicates situations corresponding to left value in rows and
right value in columns.
"Each line refers to an independant line system (a circuit, for power
lines, 3 cables in alternative 3-phases system). Black ones are mandatory
and grey ones are optional elements which don't change the value selection
if they exist.
"All parallels lines are draw with a single OSM way in practice with
appropriate cables=* and circuits=* values.
"You won't see cross as it can't be combined with any other value for a
given level."

"Left & right are established following common principles of OSM."

Then there is a large table that shows all possible combinations.

This is not clear. I imagine "left" and "right" refer to the sides of the
way if you look along the way direction. But which one comes first in the
value?

Is the proposal suggesting to use a vertical line as the separator instead
of a semicolon? So "line_management=branch|straight" would be used when
there are two circuits and one goes straight at the tower, another branches?

-- Joseph Eisenberg

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 2:20 PM François Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The RFC on Lines management proposal is now over and here starts the vote
for 15 days.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Lines_management
>
> As explained previously, it's the second stage of tower:type refinement
project for power/utility supports.
> The point is to document particular situations of lines topology around
their supports and free :type keys
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/InfosReseaux/diary/391058
> Tagging has been mainly experienced on power lines but suitable on many
other kinds if comparable topologies are found.

> Many discussions lead to valuable tagging solutions despite a very
technical topic. Thank again to anyone involved in this.
> As shown on examples, it's about visible properties of power lines and
obviously not a mandatory tagging.
> Don't be afraid about 12k object to edit, there are about dozen of
millions of poles/towers remaining to map out there.