[Tagging] Reviving the path discussion - the increasing importance of trails in OSM

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sat May 23 21:40:54 UTC 2020

=path is such a horrible catch-all tag and one that is extremely entrenched - I am surprised no one has implemented a path=trail subtag, similar to sidewalk, so we can separate all the hiking trails and other “hiking” paths, and then apply different hiking limitations you wouldn’t expect to find on a sidewalk or playground way.

Mixing trails and sidewalks in the path key is as horrible as mixing up runways and train tracks in a “highway=not_car” way.

Javbw