[Tagging] Reviving the path discussion - the increasing importance of trails in OSM

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sun May 24 01:03:06 UTC 2020

On Sun, 24 May 2020 at 07:42, John Willis via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> =path is such a horrible catch-all tag and one that is extremely
> entrenched - I am surprised no one has implemented a path=trail subtag,
> similar to sidewalk, so we can separate all the hiking trails and other
> “hiking” paths, and then apply different hiking limitations you wouldn’t
> expect to find on a sidewalk or playground way.

Right now you can use
sac_scale=hiking,mountain_hiking,demanding_mountain_hiking to indicate if a
path is a hiking trail. Though you can't really currently say something is
not a hiking trail.

On Sun, 24 May 2020 at 10:01, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 5:42 PM John Willis via Tagging
> <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> >
> > =path is such a horrible catch-all tag and one that is extremely
> entrenched - I am surprised no one has implemented a path=trail subtag,
> similar to sidewalk, so we can separate all the hiking trails and other
> “hiking” paths, and then apply different hiking limitations you wouldn’t
> expect to find on a sidewalk or playground way.
> >
> > Mixing trails and sidewalks in the path key is as horrible as mixing up
> runways and train tracks in a “highway=not_car” way.
>
> Yeah. But it's so entrenched that trolltags are probably the only way
> out of the mess. And sac_scale is _surely_ not the right trolltag! The
> problem with sac_scale is that it's an impossible scale. I'm told that
> https://youtu.be/VKsD1qBpVYc?t=533 is still only a 2 out of 6 on that
> scale, and that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y5_lbQZJwQ is still
> only a 3. Note that one misstep on either of those trails can easily
> mean death.

 https://youtu.be/VKsD1qBpVYc?t=533 I would tag
as sac_scale=demanding_mountain_hiking, my rule of thumb is anything where
the average person would need to use their hands to get over an obstacle
is demanding_mountain_hiking. This is what the wiki says too "exposed sites
may be secured with ropes or chains, possible need to use hands for
balance".

Anything that doesn't need hands, but has a fall hazard/is exposed would be
sac_scale=mountain_hiking (assuming it's not alpine).