[Tagging] Reviving the path discussion - the increasing importance of trails in OSM

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun May 24 01:51:10 UTC 2020

On Sun, 24 May 2020 at 11:11, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchfamily.org> wrote:

> Being a Sierra Club member in California, it seems to me that the Yosemite
> Decimal System (YDS) [1], originally created by the Sierra Club is made to
> order for this. Classes 1 through 3 are basically hiking, 4 is transitional
> and 5 is technical climbing. My understanding having been exposed to this
> for decades is slightly different from that in Wikipedia mine are:
>
> 1 - No special gear or equipment needed. If not the equivalent to a city
> sideway in difficulty, it is very close.
> 2 - Uneven, loose or other surfaces where good hiking shoes are advisable.
> 3 - You may occasionally need to use a hand to steady yourself in
> difficult areas.
> 4 - Climbing or scrambling but low exposure and/or low risk of injury such
> that safety equipment like ropes are not required.
> 5 - Climbing requiring technical skills and equipment.

We have a similar system here

The Australian Walking Track Grading System

Grade 1 is suitable for the disabled with assistance

Grade 2 is suitable for families with young children

Grade 3 is recommended for people with some bushwalking experience

Grade 4 is recommended for experienced bushwalkers, and

Grade 5 is recommended for very experienced bushwalkers

https://www.aussiebushwalking.com/grading

Thanks

Graeme