[Tagging] Reviving the path discussion - the increasing importance of trails in OSM

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sun May 24 16:51:46 UTC 2020

Path and trail are confusingly near in meaning.
The first Google search result <https://diffsense.com/diff/path/trail> on
the difference between the meaning of path and trail says
*: *"*Pat**h** (is) a trail* for the use of, or worn by, pedestrians".
So path=trail does not work semantically anyway.

Creating a new path=trail tag will not do any good, as it will be
practically impossible to re-tag all the existing "highwa=path" ways that
fall into the new category. Which means the only effect it will have that
routers and renderers need to ad this as an additional possible tagging to
their already complicated evaluation

This proposal is not going to fly, unfortunately. As I said before the big
issue, at least in central Europe, is the massiv use of highway=path (with
the additional "designated" tags) for foot-cycleways. We will have to live
with that. The non-foot-cycle "paths" can be handled by surface, smootness,
and sac-scale tags.