[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Recreational route relation roles

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Mon May 25 13:54:48 UTC 2020

Warin:

> Local to me the 'Great North Walk' is signposted in many different ways.
>
> e.g.
> Post with directional arrows
> http://thegreatnorthwalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ww_photo_Looking-into-Mulbinga-Street.jpg
> Some of these posts have no name plate so those may not be recognized by
> those unfamiliar.

With route signs, you often can't tell what it is from one post. One post
is never a route, you always need extra information. In Nederland, many
routes have exactly the same symbol without further information. They show
the names only when they cross each other. If you're lucky!

Signboard
> http://thegreatnorthwalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ww_photo_GNW-sign-on-the-Lyrebird-Trail.jpg

Looks like the trails run together for a while?

There are signboards indicating ways to the Great North Walk ..
> unfortunately labeled 'Great North Walk' leaving off the 'To the' so
> leading to miss-tagging of these paths/tracks - they are 'approach'
> paths/tracks/roads.

 In the role proposal, such a "to the ..." sign found on one trail and
pointing to another trail, would indicate a "connection" role. Otherwise an
"approach" role could be assigned.

If it is a sign pointing out the way from a PT station, parking lot or
mountain cabin, I would probably consider it an approach belonging to the
route. If it's just a sign on the road pointing to the nearby trail,
probably not worth mapping. But that's up to the mapper who knows the
territory. And often I google what the operator says.