[Tagging] Reviving the path discussion - the increasing importance of trails in OSM

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon May 25 19:19:24 UTC 2020

> The fact that they thought it was a good idea to munge path and footway
together is partially what got us into this mess

My understanding is that mappers were already using highway=footway and
highway=path in overlapping ways.

In Indonesia, there does not seem to be any consistency about whether the
unpaved foot path in the mountains, between remote villages, should be
tagged highway=footway or highway=path, for example. They are certainly not
designed for bicycles or horses (most of the bridges are only one narrow
log wide and there are many stiles and ladders to cross), but there is no
legal access prohibitions.

While most of this discussion has been considering recreational trails in
Western countries, it is important to remember than most unpaved footways,
paths and trails in the world are located in other countries. Remote areas
in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Oceania have extensive networks of
unpaved paths between remote villages in deserts, mountains and tropical
forests where there are no roads for 2-track motor vehicles.

– Joseph Eisenberg