[Tagging] Reviving the path discussion - the increasing importance of trails in OSM

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue May 26 12:29:06 UTC 2020

May 26, 2020, 12:52 by tagging at openstreetmap.org:

> 26 maj 2020 kl. 11:33 skrev Volker Schmidt <> voschix at gmail.com> >:
>

>> We have now been reviving the path discussion in 73 messages, and counting ...
>> I still feel we are not understanding each other (or is it only me who is lost?)
>> To me a highway=path is a concept that is well defined in the wiki, and the various types can be described with existing tags.
>>

> The text and image at the top of > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=path>>  seems to indicate that highway=path is mainly intended for more or less unprepared paths. Yet, the examples at the bottom of the page show how to tag paved, signed, urban foot- and cycleways.

Changed a bit in
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:highway%3Dpath&diff=1995169&oldid=1993843

I have somewhere great photo for top image, with asphalt cycleway ending and turning into
unpaved path. But I am unable to find it now.

Has anybody got an such image with both paved and unpaved path on an open license?

> And I am fairy sure I have seen people advocate that highway=footway and =cycleway should be deprecated and replaced with =path plus various extra tags.

I would support exact opposite move, though currently
highway=path + foot=designated + bicycle=designated seems to be standard.