[Tagging] Reviving the path discussion - the increasing importance of trails in OSM

brad bradhaack at fastmail.com
Tue May 26 18:50:59 UTC 2020

On 5/26/20 8:26 AM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 6:59 AM Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  From what I can tell, the ask is a tag for a specific type of way which the person needs experience or preparedness before undertaking. But I'm lost and still not completely understanding what exactly this new tag would cover exactly and what it wouldn't.
> I've said repeatedly - but people are not listening - that what's
> needed is the opposite. More specific ways to tag the hazards of a
> technical trail is the exact opposite of what I want.
>
> A data consumer cannot draw any inference from the absence of a tag.
>
> We already have an enormous cauldron of tag soup to describe
> smoothness, surface, width,incline, steps, visibility, tracktype,
> overall technicality (sac_scale, mtb_scale), and $LC_DEITY knows what
> else, to characterize specific hazards. Many of these (smoothness,
> surface, visibility) have ways to characterize freedom from those
> hazards. Some (most notably sac_scale and mtb_scale) do not. This lack
> is _part_ of the problem, so _part_ of what I want is to be able to
> say something like `mtb_scale=0` or `sac_scale=no` - to say, "this way
> is non-technical." But that's a very minor issue.
>
> i don't think that it's going to work to have to enumerate every
> possible hazard and assert that a way is free from it. Rather, in
> general, for a footway, we need a way to assert 'this path is
> generally OK for a person with less-than-ideal physical fitness or
> small children in tow." For a cycleway, we need a way to assert, "this
> path is generally OK for a road bike." This assertion cannot be made
> by omitting tags. A router cannot tell the difference between 'the
> mapper didn't say anything about difficulties or hazards', and 'the
> mapper thinks it's OK.'
>
> (Feel free to stop reading here. The rest of this message tries to add
> detail. The key point is "a positive assertion that the given way is
> OK for a pedestrian/cyclist of ordinary ability".)
>
> ----
>
> The assertion needs to be as simple as possible.  which is what leads
> to the discussion of separating urban paths from technical trails
> using a top-level key (and the misconception that there's actually a
> difference between `cycleway` and `path`).  I agree with the others
> who say that train left the station a long time ago, and we're
> unlikely to catch up with it to board it.
>
> What I'm asking for is some minimal set of tags, that we can expect a
> mapper to provide as a matter of course, to assert that a way is free
> from unusual hazards. To assert that a walker of ordinary ability,
> dressed in ordinary street clothes, and perhaps with small children in
> tow, can use the path. To assert that a cyclist of ordinary ability,
> aboard an ordinary road bike can ride it. Adding more tags to describe
> that something does have difficulties or hazards will not help.
>
> Emphasis there is also on the word, 'minimal'. What is the minimal
> [...]
Yes!  We have an overload of tags for trails, many poorly defined, many
rarely used.   KISS -  keep it simple stupid.  I think it would help if
we narrowed the focus for cycleway and footway.
How about this, as default:
cycleway - paved path that a typical tourist or casual rider can ride on
a road bike.
footway - smooth path, very firm surface or paved that is good for
someone with less than average ability.
bridleway- for exclusive (or almost exclusive ) horse trails
path - for everything else.   Implies not paved.  Routers should not
route road bikers here.

The difficulty for bikes (& maybe hiking) can be simple green/blue/black
similar to what is used on US bike trails, and ski areas.