[Tagging] Reviving the path discussion - the increasing importance of trails in OSM

Daniel Westergren westis at gmail.com
Wed May 27 09:28:12 UTC 2020

To confuse things more (or maybe less...), I just realized that iD is using
highway=cycleway, bicycle=designated, foot=designated for a "Cycle and foot
path". But in JOSM, the preset for the same is using highway=path...
Similarly, iD is using highway=footway as default for a sidewalk.

So basically iD already has a way to avoid highway=path for these combined
foot- and cycleways? But JOSM's preset is messing it up, as is the "you can
use this or you can use that, as you wish" text for highway=path in the
wiki.

iD doesn't seem to include "Cycle and foot path" in the hierarchy under
"Paths" though, so unless you specifically search for that kind of path,
you'll  have to make a choice between footway, cycleway or path.

So is it, as others have suggested, the vague "anything goes"-description
in the wiki and JOSM's presets that have messed up the distinction between
cycleway, footway and path? The core of the issue is obviously that some
people think that path can be used equally for a combined footway/cycleway,
sidewalk etc. that is not specifically designated for ONLY pedestrians OR
cyclists.

/Daniel