[Tagging] Change of wiki page Key:access

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed May 27 16:36:55 UTC 2020

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 6:22 AM Fernando Trebien <fernando.trebien at gmail.com>
wrote:

> One more thing: the distinction between bicycle=no and
> bicycle=dismount has made its way to this important article for
> various countries around 2015. [14]
>
> [14]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access_restrictions

That article says "Default is a proposal (not yet fully drafted, no RFC, no
voting yet) for a possible, upcoming default value system. This proposal
may set default access restrictions by area (country, state...) if it
becomes a generally accepted practice."

I would not consider it to represent consensus.

In the United States, if a way is tagged foot=yes + bicycle=no, it is
almost always correct to assume that pushing or carrying a bicycle while
walking is permitted. The exceptions are US Wilderness areas, where all
motorized and mechanical devices are prohibited, and sometimes indoors in
buildings such as malls. On streets, roads and footways, it is legal to
push a bicycle if you are allowed to walk.

> If there really is widespread agreement that bicycle=no should be
treated like bicycle=dismount (plus, perhaps, some treatment when
foot/access=destination), I would expect more requests to correct this
in applications

Most people who ride bikes will want to avoided any places where
dismounting is required. It is usually faster to take a different route.
Only rarely will it be worthwhile to use a way with bicycle=dismount

– Joseph Eisenberg