[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - electricity=*

Lukas Richert lrichert at posteo.de
Tue Nov 3 00:07:37 UTC 2020

Hi Jan,

I would refrain from overwriting the power_supply tags. Firstly,
speaking as  a native speaker, it is not an intuitive name. The first
few times I saw this I immedialtey thought it wasn't relevant to what I
was searching for and didn't even read the wiki. A power supply
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply> is a device that supplies
electric at a specific voltage, current etc. and is typically built into
computers, used in labs etc. It does not specify the existence of
electricity. (If anything, the word they meant to use is probably
'electrical outlet'.)

Furthermore, the tagging is highly inconsistent. The way it is described
on the wiki page has nothing to do with the way it is described on the
camp_site page. I think the data would be better and more consistent if
power_supply is deprecated and slowly replaced by either socket:* or
electricity, depending on the meaning.

I think overwriting the meaning of a used tag is a dangerous method and
taggers that are already using it wouldn't necessarily notice the change
in definition. If the tag was deprecated, it would be obvious which
definition the tagger was using instead of introducing a further
variable into an already badly documented tag. Also, power_supply:socket
would again be a duplication of the already existing, well-thought-out
socket tag.

Cheers, Lukas