[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - electricity=*

Niels Elgaard Larsen elgaard at agol.dk
Fri Nov 6 00:03:22 UTC 2020

Joseph Eisenberg:
>  > Re: "Perhaps it would also be possible to then tag electricity:grid=yes and
> electricity=no in the case of grid connected houses experiencing a long-term power
> outage during a natural disaster?"
>
> Generally OpenStreetMap data is not updated frequently enough by mappers and database
> users for us to map temporary states (e.g. anything which lasts less than 6 months).
> Many database users will download a data extract for offline use and only update this
> every 3 months or so - see Maps.me for example, and perhaps facebook's  use of
> OpenStreetMap data.

I agree.
But there are some interesting cases around that 6 month range.

For example we now have access:covid19

Another example is road work on motorways. That can easily take 6 month to a year.
First they do one side and have both directions share the lanes of what was earlier
one direction. Then they do the other side.

Sometimes mappers change the speed limit to e.g. 60 km/h, but usually when the work
is finally done, it takes a long time for someone to put it back at 130.

It would be useful to be able to tag a temporary speed limit with an estimated expiry
date. And maybe an estimated start date for offline maps.

And we could do the same for natural disasters.

Niels Elgaard Larsen