[Tagging] How to tag a threshing floor

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 21:50:03 UTC 2020

Am Fr., 6. Nov. 2020 um 13:56 Uhr schrieb Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 at 09:09, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> We do not distinguish "truly historic" wayshrines from "ordinary"
>> wayshrines.
>>

> We currently do not make the distinction because we lack the tagging to
> do so.  That is not an argument for not making a distinction.

right. But given that we have not done it so far through the historic key,
the sustainable way is not by redefining the meaning of a key that is
already used more than a million times.

> To me it doesn't make sense to draw a line, dividing the same objects
> having more or less historic value. If there is something to distinguish at
> all, my suggestion would be to add a qualifier to those objects of
> exceptional historical value (if this is verifiable).

We have a way of tagging objects of exceptional historical value, it's
historic=*.  Objects of unexceptional historical value, or of no historical
value do not get tagged with historic=*.  That's because historic is
not a synonym (in the real world or in tagging) for old, disused or
repurposed.

just that it is not what we are currently doing.

Cheers
Martin