[Tagging] Basic cartography features missing, why?

Anders Torger anders at torger.se
Fri Nov 6 22:26:15 UTC 2020

I agree, but one renders (in some way at least), the other doesn't.
Which one will the casual mapper choose? I'm a bit impatient and like to
see results now.

The cluster tag was drafted 2015, the group tag 2018. None of them
render as far as I know.

/Anders

On 2020-11-06 23:10, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> Am Fr., 6. Nov. 2020 um 21:04 Uhr schrieb Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org>:
>
> ** Support for group naming is limited. It's here very common that several smaller islands are named as a group, smaller ponds are named as a group etc, without having individual names. There are tags for that (group/cluster), but not rendered.
> Mostly because multipolygons are strictly superior.

for groups, the group relation is clearly superior. First of all, it
implies group semantics and is defined. For a multipolygon, it may not
be clear what it is about, unless you invent tags for "a group of
lakes", a group of ponds, a group of trees, a group of island. But
still, it only works for areas, you cannot use multipolygons for groups
of nodes or groups of lines, or mixes of these.

Cheers
Martin