[Tagging] Basic cartography features missing, why?

Anders Torger anders at torger.se
Sat Nov 7 11:21:26 UTC 2020

This is great information, I didn't know about your project, very very
interesting. I have recently come to understand the OSM-Carto technical
challenges recently. I haven't given it much of a thought as a casual
mapper for the past two years, just been a bit disappointed with how it
looks.

I am a programmer in profession though so when taking a deeper look and
though about it I see these challenges.

However, and this is a big however, I think that the face of
openstreetmap really need to be a cartographic sound map. It's not right
that a style seemingly designed mainly for speedy diagnosis should be
the face of OSM. How many of our mappers are so technical that they
understand this? And howcome did I not even know about this cartographic
project of yours? If there are great styles out there but noone knows
about them that's a problem.

And even if we let the not-so-good-cartography be the first map we see
on openstreetmap.org (which makes no sense), some of the other layers
presented there should be one which focus on good cartography, and all
that are there now have many of the same issues as the main style.

I assume that many, perhaps most, casual mappers use the web editor. I'm
really impressed with the web editor, it's great and is mostly
user-friendly, you don't need to be a technical person to map, and that
is how I think it should be. One thing with the web editor though is
that unless you are technical enough to turn off caching (which
essentially means putting the browser in development mode), you won't
see the rendered results for a long time, even if reloading the page,
you still get cached data. Thus it wouldn't matter if the rendering
wasn't updated for a couple of hours or even more, the casual mapper
won't see it anyway.

I think that direct feedback is desirable of course, but compared to
other goals I think it's less important, and one can work with the user
interface in the web editor to mitigate this issue. Perhaps just have a
way to probe the server so it can deliver some render status. The
biggest problem today with the web editor regarding feedback is that to
a casual mapper it may not be obvious that the map needs to be rendered
at all and that can take time, and together with the web caching and
different zoom levels it gets even more confusing. Many of us more
experienced mappers know exactly how OSM works and renders, and we go
blind for how a new user will experience it.

One way to mitigate this could be to turn on some render info view in
the web interface to show render status of tiles, maybe even estimated
time left, and then a way to refresh the tiles without having to resort
to putting the web browser in development mode with disabled cache.

And now to the most important point, whether one likes it or not,
OSM-Carto as being the face of OSM and the most commonly used style, is
the de-facto reference and driver of features and tagging. If OSM-Carto
doesn't support basic cartography features many mappers won't be
motivated to tag for that, and then the cartographic styles will have
less information than they need to make good maps. OSM-Carto due to its
limited rendering capabilities also make casual mappers tempted to "tag
for the renderer" just to get results, which for example can mean that
villages are upped, and thus the cartographic style will get fed with
incorrect information.

In summary I think there are *very* strong arguments for that the main
style shown at openstreetmap.org and the main style used for editors
should be focused on providing great cartography (with the extension
that it should probably present more features than a usual map,
alternatively we need to split into several styles, all cartographic
sound), and we must allow it to be be more computationally expensive and
come up with smart ways to mitigate that in the tools. We can't
stubbornly hold on to principles and use the same arguments that held up
and worked well back in 2004, there are things that need to be revised.
And one of these things is that we need to understand that good
cartography needs priority, and good (online) cartography today has much
tougher competition and therefore expectations than it had back in 2004.

While searching the web for what's happening inside OSM I found this
blog post from 2018 written by a longtime OSM contributor, where some of
these issues are discussed:
https://blog.emacsen.net/blog/2018/02/16/osm-is-in-trouble/

but it seems that not much has happened since, which makes me somewhat
worried about the project's future. I don't think we need a revolution
or something, but there are some things that need to start moving, and
for some of these things the old processes no longer work.

/Anders