[Tagging] Basic cartography features missing, why?

Anders Torger anders at torger.se
Sat Nov 7 15:41:06 UTC 2020

Probably the database should be organized in layers. The more
information there is, the messier it becomes to have everything visible
at once. With JOSM you can sort of simulate layers with filters on tags
(I use that feature all the time), so I'm not sure if it actually needs
to be layers in the database or if it just needs to be adaptation on the
tools side.

I disagree that names in the landscape is of little value, and actually
defining what it is covering is providing additional value over just
placing a point, and I think is opposite to tag for the renderer.

And in the end it's about the resulting map. The current use of points
won't do what's required to be able to make good cartography.

/Anders